NEXT GENERATION SULFUR TAIL GAS ANALYZER BOOSTS RELIABILITY AND SAFETY IN CLAUS RECOVERY PROCESS
4 February 2015
New AMETEK Process Instruments Model 888 features automatic flow control and
extended temperature range
AMETEK Process Instruments (www.ametekpi.com) has introduced its third generation H2S/SO2 tail gas analyzer with significant reliability advances for control of the Claus sulfur recovery process. New features of the Model 888 Sulfur Recovery Tail Gas Analyzer overcome the three most common external failure modes encountered by Sulfur Recovery Units (SRU). These include:
• Automatic flow control for proactive response to adverse process conditions such as liquid entrainment during SRU (sulfur recovery unit) turndown
• Flange temperature alarm to give early warning of poor steam quality or defunct steam trap to prevent sample flow failure
• Extended ambient temperature range to 60°C/140°F without external cooling to increase the life of electronics and allow installation in the hottest climates
• Oil refining
• Petrochemical & chemical refining
• Engineering procurement construction
• Pollution control
Safety advances include double-block process isolation and a web-enabled interface for remote data acquisition by Ethernet and Modbus. The Model 888 features the AMEVision color graphical user interface and smart diagnostics. Extensive self diagnostics monitor six temperatures and four separate pressures, with automatic adjustments in process flow. The analyzer also is equipped with steam (hot condensate) blowback to remove ammonia salts and an anti-clogging feature that is automatically initiated if plugging is detected.
The analyzer uses the proven sample handling technique of an internal demister with two demister pads and face-to-face fittings allowing improved access and maintenance efficiency. All internal connections and components are accessible from the front of unit. The compact, rugged analyzer mounts directly on the process pipe, eliminating the complexity of fiber optic coupled photometers or sample lines.
Since the Model 888 occupies the same footprint and uses the same process connection as its predecessor, Model 880, the new unit can be substituted in less than a day. Its stainless steel housing is rated IP65/NEMA 4X for harsh outdoor operating conditions; a shelter cabinet or house is not required.
For more information, please contact: